Monday, September 20, 2010

Javalava Backpacking Trip

This past weekend, I went 8 hours up to an alpine meadow at the top of an inactive volcano called Pangrando. We camped overnight and then hiked down. A nearby volcano that we could see across the valley called Gede is more active as you will see steam pouring out in a photo I'll attached. Highlights of the trip were the interesting assortment of fellow hikers of all ages and reasons for being and staying in Indonesia, the waterfalls, one with hot water and the other freezing water, the fellow Indonesian campers who we met along the way, my porter, the need to wear a wool hat and gloves at the top and the fact that even though I was one of the slowest hikers, I did not complain and was able to persevere to the end (no other choice), though my legs felt like jelly by the end.

I did it with the help of a hymn entitled ""I walk with Love along the way" and O it is a holy day! No more I suffer cruel fear, I feel God's presence with me here. The joy that none can take away is mine. I walk with love today." :)

4 comments:

  1. Nice inspiration -- but I find it hard to believe that your legs felt like jelly. You are so fit! It's always harder going down, too. What an amazing experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. I never considered a waterfall with hot water. Where does it originate from, the volcano?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is from the ancient volcano. These ancient volcanos can come alive again as just happened in Sumatra a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn, It is so much easier to stay fit here. The Asian type food is all veggies and rice and tempah, fish or small quantities of meat. The sweet stuff is also not as sweet and harder to find.

    My maid shops for me and cuts up all the fruit for breakfast and veggies so I can stir fry it when I get home. She is very caring and I do not think I can ever live without a maid again! My apartment is kept spotless with no effort on my part.

    Serving for an Indonesian is an honorable profession because of their Muslim religious teachings.

    ReplyDelete