Tuesday, December 21, 2010

First day in Bali

Wayan, Richard and I met in NH at a going away party for Ayu and Jimmy's exchange student. Dolores Siik who placed all of my families exchange students with us, brought me along so that I could meet some Indonesian people. Last Thursday Ayu was in Jakarta and we shopped and had dinner together along with her daughter and the driver's daughter. Last Sunday I arrived in Bali and was met by Wayan and her brother to take me to Wayan and Richard's home near Ubud. I'm staying upstairs in a large room and bath. It is breezy and has incredible views all around. It even has a good luck Gecko (8 inches long) that lives in the high ceiling board above. I haven't met him personally yet.

They are very gracious hosts and I don't think I could comfortably come to Bali by myself and spend three weeks. Because they have many friends here, I am getting to know and enjoy the village Nyuh Kuning, near Ubud less like a tourist and more like a local. I have met many of their friends and they are all patiently helping me learn Bahasa Indonesia. They have a lot of patience.

Tomorrow Wayan and I are going to Gde, an artist friend whose gallery and one painting is in the posted photos, to drive us to another artist friend who also is a rice farmer, to take us on a 2 hour rice field walk, followed by a trip to his gallery to buy one I liked last time we visited. Following this, we'll go to buy a Balinese bedspread that Wayan and Richard export (check out their website: The Pondak) for my guest room bed in Jakarta and then off to an art gallery and lunch. We'll be able to walk home from there. Check out the next to blog entries that are all photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment