Thursday, August 5, 2010

All School Orientation

I've just finished two days with the entire faculty of JIS who number 300. Each day of orientation, we are served an Indonesian or Indian hot lunch that we eat outside in an the Bali amphitheater in a garden. At the end of the week there will be a party at one of the administrator's homes.

We are working on PowerSchool and PLC communities as a whole faculty and then break into PLC's in 6th grade science and math and then middle school LC's for science and math, too. I teach only two 90 minute classes a day and one of two preps a day is for collaboration with my PLC teams. To allow more time for collaboration, the science teachers have a person who sets up the experiments, another person who I share with my (ELA/history partner for 40 kids) helps me to teach so that the ESL students are helped with language skills and I have a learning support person to help me with slower learners or groups since we differentiate. Also, my classroom has a Smartboard and a TV on the ceiling and an opaque projector. Everyone is so happy and helpful. And did I mention that we were all given business cards?

To allow me to have more time to work on amazing lessons for my classes, and to help the local economy, I have hired a maid who I share with another teacher. She made me Gado-Gado for tonight, cleaned the house, washed my clothes and ironed them, all after she went shopping for groceries and cleaning supplies. Not much to complain about!!!  I feel like a professional in more than in name only!  :)

3 comments:

  1. How many students attend the school? What is Gado-Gado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you're in heaven! So far there seems to be no down side -- except the fact that you're about as far from Henniker as you could possibly be. I like all the questions carolLKR is asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol,

    THe middle school has 400 students and there are 2500 students in all four campuses. Two elementary school, HS and MS.

    Gado-Gado is an Indonesian dish. It is hot vegetable salad with peanut sauce and a hard boiled egg cut in wedges.
    B

    ReplyDelete