Sunday, August 29, 2010

Indonesians

The second reason that JIS faculty give for staying here so long is the Indonesian people. It is what the guide books say and it is my experience that Indonesian people respect differences. Their motto is Unity in Diversity. They are kind, patient, graceful and caring. They are also always working at something, but are unhurried. They have an easy smile that lights up their eyes when they greet you, like to laugh and take great pleasure in helping you practice Bahasa Indonesian as well as help you in anyway they can. They take great pleasure in service. I get to practice greetings as I pass three checkpoints of guards on my way to school each morning and spend Sunday afternoons with the first Reader and her parents. Today we had the afternoon to ourselves. I like learning to eat, shop and obtain services like the local people here.

I've posted my classroom photos, Nadya and her family and some new friends I met at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment